Sunday, February 28, 2010

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Title: Stargirl
Author: Jerry Spinelli
Year of Publication: 2000
Genre: YA
Pages: 183
First Line: "When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it."
Summary: From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, the hallways hum with the murmur of "Stargirl, Stargirl." She captures Leo Borlock's heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first.

Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal.

Source: Back of book



Review: I loved Stargirl. The book did have a few flaws but as soon as I got a chance, I went to the library and picked up the companion, Love, Stargirl. While the character of Stargirl was very unrealistic, it had some really deep things to say about who we are and other big questions. Even though it's a relatively short book, it seemed to move slowly in some parts. Despite that, part of me wishes it had been longer. I will say that Stargirl and Leo don't really match very well. I didn't see the why for them.

Worst part: Aside from their relationship, there wasn't a whole lot of answers about why for Stargirl in general. That was kind of annoying.

Best part: The whole idea for it was pretty brilliant. It took a twist on a story that's been told dozens of times and made it new.

Grade: B+

Other Books by This Author: Knots in my Yo-yo String: The Autobiography of a Kid and Crash.




11 / 50 books. 22% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment