Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Devouring by Simon Holt

Minor spoilers.

Title:
The Devouring
Author: Simon Holt
Year of Publication: 2008
Genre: YA
Pages: 231
First Line: "On Sorry Night, just a few days before Christmas, you have to snuff the lamps, douse the flames in the fireplace, and spend the night in the cold and dark."
Summary: The Vours: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.
For in the winter's blackest hours
Comes the feasting of the Vours.
No one can see it, the life they stole,
Your body's here but not your soul...

Source: Back of book

Review: The first-half of this book was better than the second-half. I found it interesting that other characters seemed to perceive a relationship between Regina and Aaron, but I did not see it that way at all. I was much more interested in the fantasy side of the book, as opposed to the horror side. I once tried reading The Demonata Lord Loss by Darren Shan and was almost immediately turned off by the gore. This one was similar towards the end, but because of the more fantastical element, I was able to read through the end (and might read the rest of the series, if only for Aaron, who reminds me of myself in several ways). I wasn't really able to relate to Regina's character very well, but I think a lot of her personality is a result of the situation with her mother. There were parts of the story which were not tied up or explained to begin with very well, but I expect they will be in the sequels. Nothing spectacular, but good enough to finish.


Worst part: I was disappointed the only part of the book The Devouring in the book we got to see was in the beginning. I would have liked more "entries" throughout the book.

Best part: The characterization of the Vour in Henry was very well done.

Grade: C+

Other Books by This Author: Soulstice and Fearscape.


72 / 50 books. 144% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment