Monday, May 23, 2011

Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams

No spoilers.

Title: Beatle Meets Destiny
Author: Gabrielle Williams
Year of Publication: 2009
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 336
First Line: "John Lennon was named John Lennon after John Lennon."
Summary: Imagine your name is John Lennon but everyone calls you Beatle.

And then you meet your dream girl, and her name is Destiny McCartney.

But you meet her on Friday the 13th -- and you're very superstitious. Not to mention that you're already dating the perfect girl, who happens to be your twin sister's best friend. . . .

Beatle can't imagine ever leaving his girlfriend, Cilla, who supported him after the stroke that changed his life and left him with a limp. Still, he knows that the only thing worse than staying with the wrong person is missing the chance to be with the right one.

Source: Back/Inside of book

Review: I was kind of surprised at the lack of actual Beatles-related stuff in this book, but at the same time, I guess I'm kind of glad it wasn't really included because it would have been so obvious. (Although if you're looking for a book that has more Beatles stuff, read Pepperland.) Williams' style wasn't anything special. In fact, I found the style itself a little bland and sometimes difficult to pay attention to. That said, it was a quick read that was fun, "brainless," and easy. Not sure I'd recommend it to younger teens because of some references, but it's nothing horrendously graphic or anything. As far as characters go, I felt Destiny was very contradicting. She came across as one way through Beatle's perception, but then when we "saw" her acting, it was totally different. To fix that, I might've done this (or preferred it, rather) in first-person rather than third. In any case, it was pretty good and worth the time I spent reading it.

Worst part: The style.

Best part: The concept. But like I said, I would've liked a little more Beatles stuff.

Grade: B

Other Books by This Author: There is another, though I can't find the title. It was not a YA-novel.


7 / 100 books. 7% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment