Monday, January 25, 2010

Grace's Turn by Christy Carlson Romano

Minor spoilers, but there's a warning before and after them.

Title:
Grace's Turn
Author: Christy Carlson Romano
Year of Publication: 2006
Genre: YA
Pages: 264
First Line: "The weekend before school starts, my best friend, Emily, comes over."

Summary: Grace di Giovanni is a small-town girl with a dream: she wants to be a Broadway star. But Grace has a long way to go. After all, she's never even played a lead in one of her high school's musical's! This year, though, Grace and her best friend, Emily, have decided they're not going to just fade into the background. This year will be different.

Grace spent the summer at a performing arts camp, practicing day and night; so when it's announced that Grease -- Grace's all-time favorite -- is this year's musical, she is determined to play Sandy, the lead. But Grace will have to beat out her more experienced rival, Terri, and impress a top Broadway director if she wants to be the one in the spotlight.

Source: Back of book



Review: A cute read. Nothing super special about it. No great literary achievement and misleading at some points, especially in terms of plot. The style was pretty cliched. It was just average. I really don't have much to say about it. I mostly picked it up because it was written by Christy Carlson Romano (who starred in Even Stevens) and I was curious, plus it's about Broadway stuff, which I love. I was disappointed in the lack of Grease (or eve parallels of it, although, in hindsight, I guess there was some, but it wasn't pointed out or anything). It's not as fast-paced as the jacket suggests, but maybe worth a read for a sort of interim book.


Worst part: Part of the plot was super misleading. It kind of made me angry at some of the characters. MINOR SPOILER ALERT. It concerns how Hunter (oh my God, I love that name. . .I did before I read this, though) treats Grace. END SPOILER ALERT.

Best part: Ehh. . .

Grade: C

Other Books by This Author: None.





7 / 50 books. 14% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment