Monday, June 25, 2012

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Title: The Great Gatsby
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Year of Publication: 1925
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 182

First Line: "In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice I've been turning over in my mind ever since."

Summary: The Great Gatsby captures the romance and glitter of the Jazz Age in its portrayal of a young man and his tragic search for love and success. It is a rare combination: a literary masterpiece - and one of the most popular novels of our time.

Source: Back of book.

Review:  I read The Great Gatsby in high school and did not quite understand it as well as I wanted to, so this summer, I decided to pick it up again.  Being more able to grasp characters and keep them straight, I was better able to follow the plot-line and thus the subtleties of each character.  Fitzgerald has great command of the English language, allowing the prose to be beautiful and detailed.  If you haven't already read The Great Gatsby you should. You're missing out.


Disliked: Some characters are clearly only there for exposition purposes.

Liked:  Gatsby himself is so wonderfully crafted and Nick Carraway is such a great observer. I love the point of view this story is told in.

Rating:  5 out of 5 stars


Author's Website: None

No comments:

Post a Comment