Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Madapple by Christina Meldrum

Mild spoilers.

Title:
Madapple
Author: Christina Meldrum
Year of Publication: 2008
Genre: YA, Mystery
Pages: 404
First Line: "The women resemble schoolgirls with gangly limbs, ruddy cheeks, plaited flaxen hair; they walk holding hands."

Summary: Aslaug can only dream of leaving her isolated life--until her mother dies a mysterious death. Is Aslaug desperately sad or desperate to flee? When Aslaug disappears shortly after he mother's death, is she like the windblower, blown by circumstances beyond her control? Or does she escape? When Aslaug finds herself isolated again--in a world of religious devotion, controversial ideas, and shocking revelations--will she be able to escape the demons of her own past...and her mother's? Or are the demons of Aslaug's own making? Now Aslaug is on trial for double murder. Will the truth condemn her, or will she finally be free?

(Source: Back of book)



Review: THIS. This is a must read. I started into this book, expecting something ENTIRELY different, but I got something so much better. At the beginning, I wasn't too sure about it--I commented in an earlier post about books you started hating and then ended it liking it. I can't say enough about this book. It is a brilliant idea and Rune is just fantastic. I don't want to say too much because it...it's not a book that can be spoiled. You have to discover it on your own. Just take my word for it and READ IT. (Don't let the religion thing scare you away, either--really, it's so perfect.)

Worst part: Jeez. There was very little about this book I didn't like. I guess, the ending was a little um...not final? I think. I guess that's how I'd put it. There were a few loose ends (one in particular that I was disappointed about.) And I wasn't sure how to pronounce Aslaug's name (I looked it up and got "ASH-laug", but I don't really know for sure....)

Best part: The idea and obvious effort put into this book was phenomenal.

Grade: A+

Other Books by This Author: No others, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment